Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Brass is Back

My body is in shock and is protesting this cold weather.  I mean, really.  Did Mother Nature forget it is Spring?  It is mid-April in Southeast Texas and feels like 35 degrees outside.  Yesterday, I sewed curtains all day to be productive and hide from the weather.   Let's just say, it wasn't an overly productive day with the curtains.  I did however, get a few things done around the house and worked on a few little brass treasures I have inherited recently.

These are before pictures.








In the past few years, brass started making a come back in home decor.  From fixtures and knobs to furniture and accessories.  It has been popping up more and more in my favorite magazines, blogs and on Pinterest.  I personally have never been a fan of brass, yellow gold or anything in that color family and brass will probably never dominate my home but I do love having a few pieces here and there.

Here are a few makeovers that I have done with brass.





















Sometimes you can't even tell pulls and handles are brass because they are so tarnished and dirty.  Take the custom dresser.  Here are close up before and after pictures of the pulls.





Crazy how cleaning and polishing will change things!


Over the past few months, my mom has given or offered a few pieces that she has come across over the years.  One of them is an anchor candle holder.   I polished it and now it lives on our counter in the kitchen.

Side by side before and after.





Then there is this guy.  I am in love.  It is an old door knocker in the shape of a shell!   I told my parents I thought it was solid brass.  A solid brass door knocker that looks like a shell!  Who would put this outside?  Will I be able to put it outside?

As soon as Blittle and I got home, I got to work on it.  Here are the results. 


Before





After






Side by side



I want to put it outside so it is actually seen and used but it is almost too pretty.  Plus, we don't have a front door.  I know.  Weird.  Most homes in our neighborhood don't have front doors or front decks.  Everything is in the back of the house facing the water.  We are working hard on updating the outside of our house and have what feels like 1,203,453 DIY projects going on at the same time and I can't seem to get any of them 100% finished.  With all the time I am spending outside, I am sure to find the perfect spot for it.

Tomorrow I am going to show you how I polish brass.


Have a great day everyone!


 photo Signature_zps5473e161.png
 photo googleplustitanium_zps7c045137.png  photo rsstitanium_zps86d5562c.png  photo emailtitanium_zpsf8419ff0.png

No comments:

Post a Comment